Re: Installing Lenny -- how to deal with expired repo signing keys?

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 10:05:13PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> It's a long story, but I need to install a fresh-out-of-the-box Debian amd64
> Lenny system.
>
> I found ftp.us.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/ which has installer images
> for old Debian releases, including Lenny.  The README file says I need to
> use
>     deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib
> for the sources.list entry.
>
> This works OK when I boot a l"live" cd, though it complains about the repo
> keys being expired and requires me to type "Yes" if I want to ignore that
> and install packages anyway.
>
> So my first question is: Is there something I can do in apt preferences
> somewhere that will make it accept the expired keys by default?
>
> After some experimentation with my "live" system, I decided that I really
> needed a fully installed system that didn't loose all my configuration stuff
> on reboots.
>
> So I downloaded a "netinst" CD and tried to install using it.  Of course, I
> had to give it the archive repo URL manually (netinst isn't really happy
> without a network repo).  It accepted that but then it appeared to hang.
> Looking at the <ALT>-F4 screen revealed that it was asking the same question
> about whether I wanted to accept the expired repo keys, but this time there
> was no way to give it the required "Yes" answer.  Or at least no way that I
> could see.
>
> So my second question is: Does anybody know how to give it the necessary
> answer?  Or, failing that somehing I can do in the <ALT>-F2 screen that will
> prevent it from asking?
>
> Thanks! in advance,
>
> Rick

Download DVD1. Install a minimum system from it (if it has enough for you,
build the whole system). In fact, the netinst will work and produce a
_really_ minimal base system if you don't add a network mirror.

Use apt-key add to add the expired keys if you must.

Install whatever you need.

At this point, I'd suggest doing this _only_ in a virtual machine to start with
before doing this for real on the machine you intentd to use long-term.

Unless this is an absolutely "must do this on Lenny, nothing later will ever work
and there's bespoke software that we must use and it must be on a real physical
machine" it is probably worth moving this to a VM at some point / moving to a later
version - given that Wheezy LTS expires in 2018 (that's current oldstable) and we'll
be releasing Debian 9 early next year at which point you'd be three major versions
behind.

HTH,

All the best,

AndyC