Re: SMTP relay issue with emails to specific domain

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 16:05:28 -0300
Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 09/09/16 15:05, Stephan Beck wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniel,
>
> Hi, Stephan. Thanks for your reply.

> > I think it's because it requires SMTP authentication, whereas
> > apparently the other servers you mention don't (mails are
> > delivered). Have you checked if the mail client's option
> > mail.smtpserver.default.authMethod is set to 0, which means there
> > is no SMTP authentication at all. That could explain the issue.
> > For a list of methods, see (1)
> > Looking at exim's server ready 220 response below, it does not like
> > people to send spam or bulk email.
> > The 550 return code means that the mailbox you are trying to reach
> > can't be found or you are lacking access rights. In your case it's
> > the latter, as the server response indicates.
> >

> > (1)
> > http://www.afterlogic.com/mailbee/docs/SMTP_props_AuthMethod.htm
>
> Hmmmm... I do not quite understand this situation. That is, lkeusa.com
> asked to use SMTP authentication, but this would make sense if the
> email client connects directly to lkeusa.com for deliver the email.
> And this is not the case. The client connects to an intermediate
> server, the relay server, which is the one delivering the email to
> lkeusa.com. Or maybe I'm missing something?

An email client connects to its SMTP smarthost using SMTP, so there's no
way a given SMTP server can tell whether it's a client (MUA) or another
SMTP server (MTA) trying to connect to it.

That said, a SMTP server should accept mail addressed to a valid
recipient of a domain for which it is authoritative, unconditionally, it
should not ask for authentication. Authentication will only be required
for relaying, i.e. expecting lkeusa to pass the message on to someone
who is not a local recipient. If this were not the case, anyone sending
email to anyone else would be expected to be able to authenticate to
the recipient's server, which is nonsense.

The error message you are seeing seems to involve relaying. Are you
definitely sending email to a valid recipient on the lkeusa.com domain?
If so, no relaying is being requested, the error message you are seeing
does not make sense ("to=<xxxx@lkeusa.com>, relay=lkeusa.com") and you
need to contact the postmaster for the domain to ask what is going on.

P.S. A quick dig at lkeusa.com shows no MX record, and mxtoolbox.com
confirms this. 50.87.144.56 is the IP address given by an A record for
the domain name itself, and the only other DNS records are the hosting
company's nameservers. This may have something to do with the problem.

--
Joe