Re: Using serial console as a poor mans IP kvm?

On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 08:46 +0300, Lars Noodén wrote:
> I've used USB-to-serial adapters with the Prolific chipset.  They've
> worked fine for me, in various models.  (I haven't tried FTDI and am
> suspicious of them.)

And my experience is the opposite. I have genuine (there's apparently a
lot of fakes) FTDI devices in pretty much daily use for many years
without problems. This is using ser2net on a local network for accessing
serial consoles on ARM based development boards. ser2net will be
insecure telnet or raw port forwarding but if it's not exposed to the
internet and you can ssh tunnel into the local network then that's a lot
better. I've done that method for carrying on working with my boards
whilst across the other side of the world. Of course, a means of power
cycling devices is also essential.

--
Tixy