Re: Using serial console as a poor mans IP kvm?

On 9/8/16 3:26 PM, Jarle Aase wrote:

I want to set up a few servers at home. Unfortunately, as I live in Bulgaria at the moment, the electric power is gone pretty often for longer periods than my UPS'es can deal with. So my servers will have to be started at least a few times every quarter.

Another challenge with living in Bulgaria is that there is no law or order. The Police is just a branch of the Mafia. I need to protect the data on the servers with full disk encryption in case they are stolen.

That means that I need to reboot the servers relatively often, and provide the luks passwords every time. Some times I am far away when this happens. I have been considering Supermicro motherboards with built in support for remote management - or old KVM IP switches from Ebay. The problem with Supermicro is that it's expensive and difficult to get the RAM required for their recent Skylake boards. The problem with Ebay is that few suppliers ships to Bulgaria, and getting anything trough the custom's here takes a whole day. Then there is the question if the device works at all...

So I'm thinking about serial consoles. My gateway router will reboot after an outage, and it can act as a VPN endpoint. So I can access IP devices. With a rasberry pi and some relays, I can probably trigger a cold reboot whenever I need to. If I could log on to the grub console on the servers over a serial link, that's all I need, really.

Does anyone here have any experience with remote control with Debian boxes over serial? Will it work reliable?

It sort of works.

I've done this two ways:

1. External serial-to-ethernet box. The external box turns out to be somewhat flakey, and a security hole (unpatched embedded linux with some vulnerabilities, and it needs to be rekeyed annually, but that doesn't actually work very smoothly).

2. Supermicro IPMI board: Sometimes works, sometimes simply doesn't respond - usually when one needs it most.

In both cases, unless you layer a VPN on top of them, they are really nasty security holes. I've ended up resorting to the old "call the data center and have a human push the button" - but that doesn't sound like it applies to your situation.

Good luck finding a solution.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra