Re: Debian Jessie : regular console instead of a hi-res one!

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016, at 12:46, Stephen Powell wrote:

> To determine which module to blacklist, issue
>
>    dmesg|less
>
> and see if you can figure out which module is loading.  You can also issue
>
>    lsmod|less
>
> to see which modules are loaded.  Perhaps you can identify which module is
> the frame buffer driver this way.  Knowing your video chipset helps give you
> a clue also.  Issue
>
>    lspci|less
>
> and look for VGA.  This may give you a clue as to the identity of the frame
> buffer driver.

I found a better way to identify the frame buffer driver.  Issue

   lspci -k|less

then search for the character string VGA.  You should see something like this:

   01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000]
   Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd RS780L [Radeon 3000]
   Kernel driver in use: radeon
   Kernel modules: radeon

This clearly identifies the frame buffer driver.

I realize that the OP has chosen a different solution.  But for the sake of
others who may find this thread in a future search who wish to go the hardware
text mode route, I have added this information.  The "vga" option of LILO
(also usable with GRUB2 if you use linux16 and initrd16 instead of linux and initrd
in the menuentry bloc) provides more choices than the hardware default of 80x25.
For more information about this, see my LILO web page at

   http://www.stevesdebianstuff.org/lilo.htm#VGA

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>
 : :'  :