Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Tue 30 Aug 2016 at 15:05:02 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 05:49:34PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:59:42 -0400
> > Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com> wrote:

> > > However, why email is still reliable, because a proper setup provides
> > > you with a well defined error messages (in case it is not delivered).
> > >

> > If an email is designated as spam, it will be *silently* dropped. It
> > took mail admins a long time to realise that if a message was spam, the
> > last thing they should do with it is to 'return' it to the apparent
> > 'sender' as part of a bounce message.
> >

> You have a much too simplistic view of todays anti-spam measures.
>
> If an smtp server tries to deliver a messages, usually the first the
> receiving server does, during the helo, checking if the sending server is
> blacklisted. If blacklisted any attempt to deliver any mail will be denied
> and the sender will receive a proper 5XX error message.

  brian@desktop:~$ telnet itcfollmann.com 25
  Trying 96.242.112.3...
  Connected to itcfollmann.com.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 newton.itcfollmann.com ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
  helo spammershaven.com
  250 newton.itcfollmann.com
  mail from:yourneighbourhoodspammer@gmail.com
  250 2.1.0 Ok
  rcpt to:hfollmann@itcfollmann.com
  450 4.2.0 <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/help/itcfollmann.com.html

I don't really want to go to the data command or go through this
greylisting business but the helo command seems acceptable to your
server.