Pulling mail for local access (was Re: [Rant] The Endless Search for a Mail Client That Doesn't Suck)

On 2016-08-29 at 07:00, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 06:15:23AM -0400, brian wrote:
>
> [Gnus]
>
>> But will it download from multiple newsfeeds *simultaneously*, and
>> combine the feeds if you subscribe to the same group from more
>> than one source? [...]
>
> TBH I never tried that, because I separate mail handling from my MUA.
> Fetching, sorting and classifying is left to fetchmail, exim and
> procmail, the "MUA" sees the result locally.
>
> Much better system behaviour when working offline.
>
> Didn't yet integrate news into that, since the newsgroups I am
> interested in are disjoint from my mailboxes.

I've been interested in trying to set up a system like that for some
years, but never had occasion to make a Project out of it, and never
found an obvious place to get started - especially for when migrating
away from a workflow which is already based on having the mail client
configured to contact the remote server directly. (And even more
especially when dealing with an IMAP account, and wanting to be able to
seamlessly affect mail on the IMAP server from the UI, which is provided
by the mail client.)

Could you go into more detail on how you have / got this set up, and/or
point to resources which explain the process (well enough for someone
technically savvy to be able to pick it up)?

--
   The Wanderer