[Solved(?)] Re: boot times out after dist-upgrade on Stretch

After 3 months of going Little Red Hen on this, I think I figured it
out. My system had live-config & live-boot (with their dependencies,
live-boot-initramfs-tools, user-setup, live-tools and
live-config-systemd) installed. An aptitude purge command on these
packages got my system booting normally again.

Despite http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/live-manual/stable/manual/html/live-manual.en.html#139
saying that installing live-config & live-boot 'will do no harm and is
useful for reference purposes', it clearly bugged up booting.

I can't say that I'll miss having to hit E at the grub boot loader,
add single or systemd.debug-shell to the boot parameters, F10 and type
`sudo systemctl isolate default` at my first shell EVERY SINGLE TIME I
boot my computer. I only hope that others benefit from my suffering
and the irreplaceable hours of my life sucked into this time vampire
so that the cycle of despair can shorten if ever so slightly.

Off to whine to the package managers unless there are any insights to
explain how these packages can coexist on my system.