Re: Speedup cp command?

On 8/23/2016 4:23 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 04:16:42PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
Thanks. I'll try it as soon as copy of DVD#2 ends.
What's special about a loop mount in this circumstance? As I read
the rsync man page it was pretty similar to cp and it had
accepted a plain automount [I'm on Jessie with Mate DE]]

rsync vs. cp won't make any difference if the destination directory
is empty.  In either case, you have to read every byte of input and
write every byte of output.

I can see that. I was wondering if rsync was using a better buffering scheme. That might make a difference when copying between rotating media.

rsync is tremendously useful when you've already got a partial copy
of the input.  It uses heuristics to figure out what it actually needs
to copy, and skips the parts you already have.