Re: A minimalist network

On Friday 19 August 2016 15:08:03 Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 8/19/2016 8:54 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> >> Not really ;)
> >> As I had said in last paragraph of
> >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00609.html :
> >> "Why would I be interested in ssh as both machines are sitting on
> >> my desk and _neither_ will be connected to the internet when
> >> ethernet connection is live?"
> >>
> >> The sole purpose of the Ethernet connection is to avoid
> >> sneakernet when transferring small preseed.cfg and script files
> >> from the WinXP machine to my Debian experiment.
> >
> > Correction - or rather, expansion to include what was clearly inferred.
> > ;-)
> >
> > So one of Richard's two has to be connected., AT LEAST FOR SOME OF THE
> > TIME.  ;-)
> >
> > Lisi
>
> NO <GRIN>
> I physically have two other machines on my desk which I could
> serve nicely to connect to the internet. Connecting either of the
> T43 or R61 ha NEVER been considered ;)

OK.  I misunderstood.  I thought you were saying that you only had those two
machines, but you don't seem actually to have said it.  Mea culpa.  So you
connect to teh internet how and when?  You imply here that oyu odn't use
either of thsoe other two machines.  At the local library?  (I am not being
facetious - that is definitely possible.)  But you have got an ISP.  ISTR you
settled on what I think (and I may have it wrong) you (plural) call a limited
cell-phone connection.  (I don't understand all the terminology, but I think
you settled on a limited connection of the same type as what we call 4G and
3G.)

> People keep presuming me to be normal and/or typical. Relatives
> gave up that idea eons ago.

Whatever gives you the idea that anyone presumes anything of the sort?  And
what, pray, on this list, is "normal and typical"???  ;-)

Lisi