Re: A minimalist network

On 8/18/2016 5:33 AM, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Richard,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 05:27:13PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
The WinXP machine no longer reported a disconnected cable.
The Jessie Mate machine now reported it was attempting to establish a
connection.

IOW both machines recognized a PHYSICAL connection.
*NOTHING MORE*

From what I can gather of the thread, both of your machines have
gigabit interfaces. That's good as it means the Auto-MDIX feature is
virtually guaranteed be supported¹. So, you need not worry whether
your cable is crossover or not.

All you need to do now is statically configure both machines to be
in the same IP network. It does not really matter what numbers you
choose as long as they are valid, but convention dictates that you
should use one of the private networks as listed in RFC1918:

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

[snip]

That led to multiple relevant Wikipedia links which combined with
_Networking+for+Dummies_ should give me framework.