Re: exim4 under jessie vs wheezy

   > I just changed /etc/mailname on all of my machines to contain:
   >
   > qobi@upplysingaoflun>cat /etc/mailname
   > purdue.edu

   You know it makes sense to do this. :)

I had never manually edited /etc/mailname. I took whatever what put there by
the debian installer perhaps as modified by whatever packages I installed and
by running dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.

As per another post, on thakaa running wheezy I have

   qobi@thakaa>cat /etc/mailname
   thakaa.ecn.purdue.edu
   qobi@thakaa>tail -n 1 /etc/aliases
   root: qobi@purdue.edu
   qobi@thakaa>

and it does correctly forward mail to root to qobi@purdue.edu.

On upplysingaoflun running jessie I have

   qobi@upplysingaoflun>cat /etc/mailname
   ecn.purdue.edu
   qobi@upplysingaoflun>tail -n 1 /etc/aliases
   root: qobi@purdue.edu
   qobi@upplysingaoflun>

and it does not. I have tried putting each of
   upplysingaoflun.ecn.purdue.edu
   ecn.purdue.edu
   purdue.edu
in upplysingaoflun:/etc/mailname and none of them work. The debian installer,
perhaps as modified by dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config put
upplysingaoflun.ecn.purdue.edu in upplysingaoflun:/etc/mailname

   But it does qualify a bare qobi or root correctly.

Neither thakaa (wheezy) nor upplysingaoflun (jessie) will qualify a bare qobi.
I don't care about that. It would be nice to fix (i.e. send to @purdue.edu)
but is not crucial.

Thakaa (whezy) but not upplysingaoflun (jessie) will ultimately get mail
addressed to a bare root to qobi@purdue.edu. That is what I would like to fix
on upplysingaoflun (and all of my other machines running jessie).

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

    Jeff (http://engineering.purdue.edu/~qobi)