Re: A minimalist network

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Back in the "good ole days" there used to be a minimum segment / cable length
> for an Ethernet cable--I don't recall to what all it applied--i.e., I don't
> recall if it applied to thick Ethernet, thin (coax) Ethernet, Cat 5 and Cat 6,
> all of the above or just some of the above.  I always used a minimum of 6' and
> that worked for me.
>
> Does that apply for Gigabit Ethernet?

Sort of, but not directly.

Ethernet and fast-ethernet have minimum cable lengths specified.  There
is no minimum cable length specified for gigabit ethernet (1000BASE-T).

For gigabit ethernet, what matters is that none of the crosstalk
parameters are exceeded.  So, any length of cable *as long as it
certifies as CAT5e/6/6A* will work for gigabit ethernet.

In practice, you'll find good CAT6 1m patch cables readly available,
I've never seen anyone bother selling anything shorter than that, but
YMMV.

--
  Henrique Holschuh