Re: A minimalist network

On 8/17/16 5:33 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 05:00:25 PM Richard Owlett wrote:
Ahh the question is HOW <chuckle>
Bought Cat6 straight thru cable. Neither machine has a light to
blink, but both reacted indicating cable present - but no
communication established YET.
As stated by someone else, you need a crossover cable--or something
equivalent, like plug cables from both machines into a switch, router, or hub,
I think I've seen someone selling like a crossover adaptera female to male
adapter wired as a crossover ...

Not necessarily. It depends on the NICs. Auto-detect has become pretty commonplace over the past 10 years, and I believe that gigE uses all 4 pairs.

Now if you were connecting RS232 ports....

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra