Re: MySQL access denied for user

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:17:12 -0700
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:

> > I'm getting the following:
> >
> >     $ mysql -h localhost -u user
> >     Enter password:
> >     ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user
> > 'user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> >
> > This user was created with a fresh installation of mysql as (mysql)
> > root with the following:
> >
> > mysql> create user 'user'@'localhost' identified by 'password';
> > Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> > mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX,
> > mysql> ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON database.* TO
> > mysql> 'user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' with grant
> > mysql> option;
> > Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> >
> > I'm trying to create a database user for Drupal, but am not having
> > any luck. Help for a MySQL newb is very much appreciated.
>
> I should point out that I've installed Drupal 8 from drupal.org since
> that isn't available to jessie (to my knowledge). I'd much prefer to
> say aptitude install drupal8 and get on with my web site rather than
> fight battles with mysql for literally days.
>
> > This is on jessie with MySQL 5.5.

No exact answer, it's a long time since I did this kind of thing, you
might have more success on a MySQL forum. I've been using phpmyadmin
for many years, which I find much easier, especially in creating new
users and assigning particular database privileges. I do remember
the same kind of trouble as you are having, and eventually getting the
incantation exactly right.

--
Joe