Re: [Gimp-user] Next gotcha

On Saturday 23 July 2016 14:15:09 David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 23 Jul 2016 at 13:13:27 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I'm not member of the gimp list and don't want to be, so I just
> > > removed them.
> > >
> > > About your query. I prefer using Xfig in cases (probably) like
> > > yours. As you mentioned, you want something to point (arrow) to
> > > something. And knowing from previous posts, you are not a Rembrand
> > > type, I can suggest using Xfig. I am not a Rembrand type as well
> > > and I prefer importing images in Xfig, making arrows, objects with
> > > text etc, drawing different types of charts. It takes some time to
> > > learn (same for gimp or double for both), but I can say that I
> > > enjoy it.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I just installed it, looks capable, but cannot open
> > a .jpg?  Showstopper right there, since the output would go on a web
> > page to be viewed by all lookers.
>
> Open a jpeg file? How would a vector drawing program do that?
> Or do you mean import it?

Its vector based? 100% perfect explanation then. My apologies for
bad-mouthing it then.

> > Not too unsurprising given the copyright dates it displays on
> > startup.  A strange video format, unsupported by common viewing
> > utilities, is a showstopper no matter how good it might look on my
> > screen. It seems to me that by now a good utility from 1985, should
> > have grown import/export from/to jpeg by 2016 even if the internal
> > format is different. They have had less than the elapsed 31 years to
> > work on it of course since the jpg std was only finalized in 2000,
> > but thats still 16 years.
> >
> > I am glad it works well for you, but I can't use it.
>
> As usual, no indication of where it failed so it's difficult to help
> you.

The only file types it could open were its native format, which I had no
idea was vector based until you mentioned it.  The failure? an empty
display window when I had navigated to the directory full of .JPG's
right out of my camera. But as you say its vector based, and trying to
feed it a jpg would certainly give it an upset GI tract.

> All I can do therefore is tell you how I just imported a jpeg picture
> of my house in xfig.
>
> 1) Click on the camera icon with "picture" written at the bottom.
> 2) Click on the screen where you want the top-left corner.
> 3) Click where you want the bottom-right corner. An Edit Panel
>    will appear.
> 4) Click on Browse.
> 5) Select the directory/file that you want to open.
> 6) Click on Apply.
> 7) Click on Close.
> 8) Click on Done.
>
> If you could let us know where your system failed, we might be
> able to tell if a library is missong from your system, or whether
> it was just finger-trouble.

At this point I did get gimp to do what I wanted, so the web images are
finished & "on the air" at the Sheldon_* link on my web page, but this
msg will be marked so I can find it again when I've an hour or so to
play.

Thanks for your patience David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)