Re: Hot swapping failed disk /dev/sda in RAID 1 array

Ad 1: Yes, the SATA controller has to support Hot-Swap. You _can_ remove
the device nodes by running
# echo 1 > /sys/block/<device>/device/delete

Ad 2: Depends on the controller, see 1. It might recognize the new
drive, or not. It might see the correct device, or not.

Ad 3: As long as the second HDD is within the BIOS boot order, that
should work.

Regards,
/peter