Newer mutt in stable

The version of Mutt in Debian 8 (1.5.23-3) has a very annoying
bug (https://dev.mutt.org/hg/mutt/rev/755a18da99bc). I'd like
to upgrade to 1.5.24 or newer.

Unstable and testing have Mutt 1.6.0-1 but I don't see any back
ports of Mutt for stable.

Things I'd rather not do :
- install from source,
- install a package from unstable or testing in case it drags in
  new versions of libc etc.,
- install unstable or testing in a VM (not against the idea,
  just too many other things on my plate at the moment),
- upgrade to unstable or testing.

So what are my options ? How about

  apt-get source --build mutt /unstable && dpkg -i mutt*.deb

Would that be the way to go ? Any traps I should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
bugs.debian.org - spammer's delight.