Re: does anybody remember which debian release was it that asked for the MAC ID details at the end ?

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:08:47PM +0000, shirish ??????????????? wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody remember which release of Debian was it that had the bug
> where d-i used to ask for MAC ID details during the end phase
> (networking phase) to the user and if s/he didn't know the MAC ID
> details the installation couldn't move further (unless one knew some
> tricks).
>
> I know for a fact that it was fixed in squeeze but it was in one of
> the releases before. From the Wikipedia page it becomes clear that d-i
> was introduced in Sarge in June 2005 so it has to be between 2005 and
> 2011.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Debian_releases#Debian_3.1_.28Sarge.29
>
> Does anybody know which release had that bug ?

Not me.
And I think there was never such bug as asking for MAC details from the User.

In https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=295888 is
an user request asking _showing_ MAC address. Quoting the BR:

|  Primary network interface:
|  eth0: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
|  eth1: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
|
|  The user has no chance to select the right network interface.
|  At least the MAC address should be displayed.

The installation would continue without tricks
just by picking an I/F.

> I am in midst of making a presentation hence need that historical
> information for accuracy.

Was there ever the bug as the original poster described?

> Look forward to know.

Let us, the mailinglist, known.

Groeten
Geert Stappers