Re: Crypto implementations (was: C source)

L'octidi 28 messidor, an CCXXIV, Jonathan Dowland a écrit :
> Do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list. This is clear in the CoC
> for lists.debian.org,

Not CCing this once. I recently explained in great length why this point of
the CoC is broken and should be ignored.

>			and it's prominently in the mail signature of
> my mail you replied to.

The correct place for that is the message header, not the signature.
Signatures are cosmetic, nobody reads them, the message header is meant to
control the operations.

> Can't miss an opportunity to go all Comic-Book-Guy on your audience!

I have no idea what that means.

> There's obviously a trade-off between re-use a library and cargo-cult some code
> when implementing something. MD5 is small and simple enough that it falls on
> the former side of that line a lot of the time, especially if the alternative
> is including a heavy weight library dependency like OpenSSL. One's mileage may
> vary depending on the nature of one's particular project.
>
> If it was good enough for dpkg...

Too bad you snipped the other paragraph, which was the important part of my
message. Especially the part about the 30% speed difference.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George