Re: openssh-server's default config is dangerous

On Tue 12 Jul 2016 at 19:54:41 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 July 2016 19:16:37 Brian wrote:
> >
> > The question you say was presented (and hazily recollect) was presented
> > because you were upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie.
>
> No, that is neither what I said nor what I meant.  I do not have ssh on any of
> my systems unless I need it.  So the last twice I did
>
> # aptitude install openssh-client openssh-server
>
> I think once on Wheezy and once on Jessie, but am not absolutle certain that
> that was the order in which I did it, so it could have been the two Jessie
> computers that I did last.  I have installed ssh recently on one Wheezy
> computer and two Jessie ones.  I did not write the question down, but I was
> asked it.

Just to make this crystal clear. If you upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie you
will be asked whether you want to disable SSH password authentication for
root. That is the *only* time the question will be asked.

The question will never be asked again.

It will never be asked if you install Jessie.

(For those who think this is about password logins in general - it is
not. It is about logging in as root).