Re: Potentialy OT: Firefox downloads over 6 GB of data streaming < 1 GB movie.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 12:25:00 +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:

> On 2016-07-11 02:53 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>
>> Debian Jessie with Firefox 47.0.1 from Mozilla Debian Team. Firefox
>> uses "automatic cache management", which is default. The problem showed
>> up just recently.
>>
>> Today for a test sake I streamed a movie https://archive.org/details/
>> SoylentGreen1973. The size of MPEG4 file is 919.8 MB.
>>
>> All apps, which potentially could use Internet, were shutdown. I'm on
>> wired connection to my router, Wi-Fi disabled on laptop physically -
>> switch turned off.
>>
>> After movie completed I found the following in gkrellm, which monitors
>> my network traffic:
>>
>> Received:	6.302	GB (vs. 919.8 MB original movie size ?!!!)
Transmitted:
>> 138.43	MB Total:		6.440	GB
>>
>> Then I streamed the same movie in Google Chrome and after completed
>> found this in gkrellm:
>>
>> Received:	7.345-6.302	= 1.043	GB (~~ equal original movie size)
>> Transmitted:	146.93-138.43	= 8.5	GB
>
> s/GB/MB/
>
>> Total:		7.491-6.440	= 1.051	GB
>>
>> No wonder in last 10 days internet usage with my ISP rocketed up.
>>
>> Anybody knows what is going on? Why streaming HTML5 video (I've not
>> tried flash yet from the same source) in Firefox downloads data over 6
>> times the size of original movie? I never experienced anything similar
>> before neither with Firefox nor any other browser.
>
> Sorry for asking the obvious but, if gkrellm had logged 7.345 GB after
> watching the film in Chrome and 6.302 GB after watching it in Firefox,
> how much had it logged immediately before that ?

It is obvious indeed. :-)

The number were taken from Daily usage tab in gkrelm. Before making the
test I had purposely not accessed Internet that day (except loading the
page with the movie certainly). Thus gkrelm only showed a couple of
dozens of MB due to some minor local network activity, which I ignored.

I've already submitted a bug to Mozilla but was interesting to listen to
community. If I've experienced some abnormal Firefox behaviour is not
very likely that mine was totally unique experience.

I'd hate to switch to Google Chrome from Firefox, since the last is my
favourite.