Re: Interesting audio problem

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2014-January/071161.html
> I'd have to look at this later, it's a bit beyond me at first glance.
>
>> Could be that you need to try recent kernel version
> As I mentioned, this did not occur when I fist used my computer (brand
> new, see the part above with stars), and as I've had this problem for
> 3.18 -- 4.1 of the linux kernel on my laptop and 2.6 -- 4.1 on my desktop
> I hardly think it's a matter of upgrading.
>

>From what I understood, your original problem was with files you recorded
yourself and from what I saw I could not conclude you have a stereo line in
jack

>> > Why? And there are not speakers, at least on my desktop. The laptop
>> > speakers I mute when using headphones, they used to auto mute, but now
>> > the computer thinks the hp are always attached so I turned that off.

>> > There is a Microphone and "Line in" jack on my desktop and a line out
>> > on the player (wasn't this kinda obvious?).

>> > I thought of that, but I'm not certain how to tell the computer
>> > whether to record what the computer is playing (don't want), vs.
>> > telling it to record from the Mic/line in.
>>
>> You can do this in the mixer with the switch settings - I think probably
>> pulse audio or the mixer of your distro.
> Yeah, I probably could google this under the lines of "How to turn off/on
> audio looping in alsa"
> This looks promising:
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge

I don't understand what this has to do with your original problem. Jack is a
(simply explained) software that you can use to manipulate audio
in/outputs.
I think you are generally mixing mic with line in. Mic is mono. Line in is
stereo. Sometimes or more often it is combined in one where the last pin is
the mic. The middle pin gets shorted when you plugin in mic, but I have not
seen in your posting you have actually a stereo line in. So in theory it
could be that you are recording mono and when pushing the jack further in
you bridge the two output lines. I have no other explanation - perhaps I
lack imagination.

Last option is a driver mapping issue. Did you try with recent kernel as
advised?

regards