Re: Success after all!!! - was: Re: Totally non-functioning wifi card- starting again completely was: Re: Laptop wireless problem

On Tuesday 05 July 2016 14:54:34 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > > bssid=00:8e:f2:8f:58:58
> > > freq=0
> > > ssid=NETGEAR08
> > > id=0
> > > mode=station
> > > pairwise_cipher=CCMP
> > > group_cipher=CCMP
> > > key_mgmt=WPA2-PSK
> > > wpa_state=COMPLETED
> > > address=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> > > uuid=<string-of-numbers>
> >
> > You have a fully functional wireless card. It has authenticated and
> > associated with the access point. Association can be confirmed with
> > iwconfig.
> >
> > If you have physical access (and only if you have) to the machine
> > bring down the wired connection with
> >
> >   ifdown -v eth0
> >
> > Check with
> >
> >   route -n
> >
> > Now obtain an IP address for the wlan0 interface with
> >
> >   dhclient -v wlan0
> >
> > The wireless connection lasts as long as the machine is not powered
> > off or rebooted.
>
> But the dns stops working if you plug the ethernet cable in.  Just plug it
> in. Don't do anything.  But it must be recognised to have nay effect.  It
> is now unplugged again, but dns has still stopped working. :-(
>
> Still, this is great!!!  Thank you, Brian.  I have filed the method for
> bringing up wireless manually separately in case my google foo deserts me!!
>
> So now,I need to solve two questions:  what has happened to dns and why
> can't network managers connect the wifi card???  Am googling dns almost as
> we speak.

Just started and found already thsi interesting (in teh circumstances) nugget
of a symptom:

"Only IPv6 resolution working when IPv4 resolution is not working, and visa
versa"

Now you have proved yourself and deloptes right, I'm going to try installing
NM and giving it another chance, as suggested.  I can always uninstall it
again!!
https://www.slightfuture.com/how-to/debian-dns-resolv

Lisi