Re: wheezy packages problems

On 2016-07-04 15:50 +0200, Giovanni Gigante wrote:

> I have a wheezy installation (itself upgraded from previous versions)
> that I now want to upgrade to jessie.
> I was following the instructions for the preparation to the upgrade to
> jessie, and I got this:
>
> # dpkg --audit
> The following packages are missing the md5sums control file in the
> database, they need to be reinstalled:
>  java-gcj-compat      Java runtime environment using GIJ
>
> However, reinstalling this package seems impossible, as it apparently
> does not exist anymore:

This is correct, it has been removed in 2010[1], so it's not part of wheezy.

> There are other strange things. For example, gcj-jre is not installed
> on this system (?), but if I try to install it, I get:
>
> # apt-get install gcj-jre
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  gcj-jre : Depends: gcj-jre-headless (>= 4:4.7.2-1) but it is not
> going to be installed

Apparently java-gcj-compat depends on java-gcj-compat-headless, on which
gcj-jre-headless conflicts.  Now why apt-get refuses to uninstall
java-gcj-compat-headless in favor of gcj-jre-headless is unclear, but
apt-get *never* tells _why_ some package "is not going to be installed",
so you have to figure that out yourself.

Good luck,
          Sven

1. https://packages.qa.debian.org/j/java-gcj-compat/news/20100411T094718Z.html