Re: wheezy packages problems

On 7/4/16, Giovanni Gigante <giov-debian@deepsky.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a wheezy installation (itself upgraded from previous versions)
> that I now want to upgrade to jessie.
> I was following the instructions for the preparation to the upgrade to
> jessie, and I got this:
>
> # dpkg --audit
> The following packages are missing the md5sums control file in the
> database, they need to be reinstalled:
>   java-gcj-compat      Java runtime environment using GIJ
>
> However, reinstalling this package seems impossible, as it apparently
> does not exist anymore:
>
> # apt-get install --reinstall java-gcj-compat
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reinstallation of java-gcj-compat is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
>
> There are other strange things. For example, gcj-jre is not installed on
> this system (?), but if I try to install it, I get:
>
> # apt-get install gcj-jre
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   gcj-jre : Depends: gcj-jre-headless (>= 4:4.7.2-1) but it is not going
> to be installed
>
> Apart from this the systems seem up to date. I have tried apt-get clean,
> apt-get dist-upgrade and aptitude, and none of them complain.
> I have no idea what to do next, in order to have a trouble-free system
> that I can safely upgrade to jessie. Suggestions?

I have a couple thoughts while you wait for others to chime in.. Did
you run "apt-get update"? I'm a-suming most likely yes since you speak
other related things but asking anyway in case it was overlooked.

Also... I used to get that message a lot about holding packages back..
People talk about "pinning" packages here. I've never done that but it
might be one answer if you've ever actively done that yourself. I
*a-sume* you'd have to unpin something to correct that, but I have no
firsthand experience to base that on.

The other is it can be referencing our *_CHOICE_* of package
repositories. For me, that "held back" error message sometimes turned
out to mean I wasn't allowing APT to reach into the right corner of
the web to pull what I was asking it to pull.

My APT pulls from one repository and only one repository... so far. I
often avoided that "held back" message for myself by using "apt-cache
search" to see if something even existed for my setup before I asked
that it be installed.

The error message also references unstable, packages not being
created, yada-yada. In that instance, it means developers haven't
uploaded the package update that is being requested. That situation is
usually (DISCLAIMER: but not always) remedied by waiting a few days
then trying again.

In the meantime, this is the point where the more curious among us
waste the time in between by nosing around in the developers' neck of
the woods via places like:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/java-gcj-compat

Ooh.. Package is not... currently available... like for an extended
amount of time. Sorry to be the bearer of that particular news.

That's all I got.. Good luck!

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey