Re: Laptop wireless problem - very slight tangent

On Monday 04 July 2016 08:48:46 deloptes wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >>
> >> just comment out the eth1 lines from the udev file and reboot. it should
> >> add the proper one after AFAIR
> >
> > Thanks!  And AFAIR it will then be a random name that I can't remember.
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > Say what you like about wlan0 and eth3 they are easy to remember.  But
> > I'll do it the next time I turn the laptop on, the first thing I do.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> AFAIR it defaults to wlan[n] in jessie. At least when I upgraded this is
> what I observed and I vaguely remember the wlan name was conventionally
> used by other programs, but no even 40% sure.

It defaulted to <trumpet roll> eth1. :-(

So, for the benefit of newbies, or perennial newbies like me, who aren't in
the mood for a treasure hunt, I again went
into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and, crossing my fingers,
reread the instructions at the top of the file and manually altered eth1 to
wlan0.  It worked!!

But here is probably part of the problem:
<quote>
# PCI device 0x8086:0x4220 (ipw2200)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
</quote>

So  it would appear that it now knows what the card is, but can't find the
driver.  It can certainly no longer see the router at all, since the clear
out and tidy up. :-(

FWIW I have removed the external card.  I can easily get a new internal card,
which I initially hadn't thought of, and the external card wasn't actually
helping. :-/

Lisi