Re: Laptop wireless problem

On Sunday 03 July 2016 15:05:00 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 03 July 2016 14:56:07 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > >
> > > If it was working, then perhaps it messed up with the upgrades. I would
> > > check if I have some older packages not completely removed - example
> > > dpkg -l | grep '^rc'
> >
> > Loads.  Now to Google how to remove them safely .....
> >
> > The obvious thing to do I suppose is look up how to get aptitude to
> > remove broken packages.
> >
> > Will sort that out now, and get back to report when I have!!
> >
> > Lisi
> >
> > > If this does not help I would check tcpdump or tcp6dump.
> > >
> > > regards
>
> One aptitude purge and one aptitude install later, and the list is 4
> shorter.
>
> I have to go now.  I'll come back to this soon, and work through the list
> either purging or installing according to whether I think we want whatever
> it is.  Most will probably need installing, so I am sure I could automate
> it via aptitude and dpkg - but that is an exercise for another day.

Right.  That is THE LOT. \o/  Mostly half removed transitional dummy packages
that had to be re-installed before they could be purged.  Let us hope that on
the whole I have removed what needed removing and kept what needed keeping.
My system for deciding improved considerably as I went on!

I have been doing this over ssh.  I haven't dared look at the machine itself
yet!!

Thank you very much, again.  More anon.

Lisi