Re: catastrophe - but how? Aptitude goes mad

On 07/01/2016 10:25 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Aptitude has served me well, reliably and faithfully for 14 years.  I was not
> rushing to blame it in this case.
>
> But until I do find out what went wrong, I shall be a little nervous of
> aptitude. :-(

Sorry to read of your upgrade troubles.  When I mentioned my easy
upgrade of Dell Inspiron 9100, I assumed you, too, would also follow the
specific instructions in the release notes.

From where you are now, others on this list are way better suited than I
to help.  Good luck!

Ralph

For the archives:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgradingpackages

> 4.4. Upgrading packages
>
> The recommended way to upgrade from previous Debian releases is to use the package management tool apt-get. In previous releases, aptitude was recommended for this purpose, but recent versions of apt-get provide equivalent functionality and also have shown to more consistently give the desired upgrade results.

> The upgrade process for some previous releases recommended the use of aptitude for the upgrade. This tool is not recommended for upgrades from wheezy to jessie.

and: