RE: jessie won't install/boot on a Dell Poweredge R815

>    Are you certain that there isn't a PERC H700 in this machine? [Sort of
>    odd that mpt2sas is triggering a state error in your screenshot if there
>    actually isn't one.]
>
> There could be one. But I probably don't use it. I use software RAID. Dell
> wouldn't sell an R815 without an OS. I think I purchased it with RHEL which
> may have needed the PERC H700. But I never even booted RHEL. The first
> thing I did was a fresh install of squeeze, or maybe wheezy.

We definitely sell PowerEdge systems without an OS and have for quite a while. However, we do limit configuration for higher end systems to include hardware RAID.

There's definitely a PERC controller in there based on <https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/06/msg00934.html>
"05:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)"

I'm not seeing the subvendor/subsystem ID's there but it's presumably the PERC 6/i. If you're really not using it at all, you might be able to pull it out if the driver for it is causing problems. However, I suspect you need it to connect to the drive backplane. Stuart (CCed) may be able to offer some more insight into driver issues you might see.

The SATA controller should only really be in use by the optical drive if present. Some of the mid-tier systems of that generation support SATA drives connected directly to a controller on the motherboard, but support for that under Linux was spotty from my recollection.

--
Jared Domínguez
OS Architect