Re: home directory fail-over using automount ?

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 20:00:07 -0700 (PDT)
Steve Witt <sawitt@ieee.org> wrote:

> My experience over the years is the NFS automouting is very reliable and
> fairly easy to administer. If your network is stable, then you shouldn't
> have a problem with it at all. If your network isn't stable, then that
> problem should be fixed. I've had software development systems consisting
> of approx. 100 client workstations automouting user home directories from
> a couple of Linux servers (almost always Debian, but some Redhat and SUSE
> - doesn't really matter) with 30 - 40 heavy users. It was very reliable
> and there were almost never any problems.

Yes it does seem to work fine, although I'm having an odd issue at the graphical login screen when it first boots.

However, I've been asking the wrong question.

The computers that I'm using on the network are laptops, and what I'm really after is being able to take them off the network and re-connect them and have the user's directory, and any other directories of importance be synchronized.

A long time ago that could be handled by something called AndrewFS.

I've been looking at the currently available distributed file systems, for example glusterFS, but they are very heavyweight because they are for heavyweight systems.

I'm almost wondering if I can set-up some scripts under automount and simply rsync to maintain sync.

Brian