Re: jessie won't install/boot on a Dell Poweredge R815

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:39:34 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Upgrade to what? He wants to install Jessie, you can't get a newer
> > > stable Debian than that.
> >
> > I guess he meant a dist-upgrade from an installed wheezy to jessie, if
> > jessie won't do a fresh install.
>
> I think the OP's attempt at a dist-upgrade was described in item 2 of
> his first mail.

Oh, yes, sure (^.^);

Ok, then a few questions to the OP that come to mind, since we still don't
seem to know why the jessie boot actually fails:
Did you try to boot different kernel versions, does the old kernel from
wheezy also fail to boot (just to rule out a problem of jessie's kernel
with that particular machine)?
What's the contents of your sources.list file? Sometimes I myself
experienced problems with a dist-upgrade when mirrors like backports or
multimedia where active during that process. (ok, since a fresh install
seems to fail also, that's probably not the issue here)
Maybe you could post the exact error messages that show up during the
failed boot?

Regards

Michael

Death.  Destruction.  Disease.  Horror.  That's what war is all about.
That's what makes it a thing to be avoided.
		-- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.0