Re: jessie won't install/boot on a Dell Poweredge R815

Hi Jeffrey,

On 20/06/16 06:49, Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
> I am attempting to install jessie on a Dell Poweredge R815. It has been
> running wheezy reliably for years. And running squeeze reliably for years
> before that. But no matter what I try it won't install or boot.
>
> I have tried two ways.
>
>  1. I attempt a fresh install from a USB dongle. It gets all the way to
>     installing grub and then fails.
>
>  2. I do a fresh install of wheezy from a USB dongle. It boots wheezy just fine.
>     I do nothing but
>
>       nano /etc/apt/sources.list
>       (change all instances of wheezy to jessie, save, and exit)
>       apt-get update
>       apt-get dist-upgrade
>       (It upgrades without error. I answer the default to all questions.)
>       /sbin/reboot
>
>     Then it fails to reboot and goes into the initramfs. I have a picture of
>     the screen if anybody wishes.
>
> I can reliably install and run wheezy over and over. I have not been able to
> install or boot jessie despite numerous attempts.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>     Jeff (http://engineering.purdue.edu/~qobi)

Two things come to mind, one being potential lack of disc space. I think
Jessie needs more than Wheezy if you selected the "standard utilities"
or whatever it's called (bottom line) when you're asked what to install.
I use a "rescue/boot manager" partition for many of my systems, which
only function is to chainload one of a few other operating systems. That
way I don't have to throw away my old boots before I try the new.
Installing Jessie on that 1G partition is only possible if the only
thing I select during install is the SSH server.

The other thing you may want to have a look at is the output on tty4
(Alt F4), perhaps that reveals why grub is not able to finish.

cheers,
Jan