Re: open - resource temporarily unavailable

Sven Joachim <svenjoac <at> gmx.de> writes:

> On 2016-06-16 21:46 +0600, Andrew P. Cherepenko wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >   'open()' for creating file sometimes returns an error:
> >     couldn't open "myfile.txt": resource temporarily unavailable
> >     either in background process or interactively (ex: in Emacs when
> > trying to save a file).
>
> Are you sure that it's opening the file which fails in that way, and not
> writing to it?

Yes. I am pretty sure.

> > system: Debian 8.5
> > with kernel: linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64
> > and systemd 215-17+deb8u4
> >
> > Is that concerned with some imposed limits on the kernel resources ?
>
> Probably not.  The only limit that should play a role here is the number
> of file descriptors, and the error would be EMFILE ("Too many open
> files") rather than EAGAIN.

The computer is a kind of server.
It is writing every second to about 100 files, every 8 hours creating new
files and closing old ones.
It has been running 7/24 for years without stopping.
All files are on its local disk (in three partitions).
It all worked fairly well on Debian 7 (linux kernel 3.20-4-amd64) for quite
long time until I moved it to Debian 8 a few weeks ago.

Thank you Sven, but I'd rather like to get some advice how I could trace and
pin down the problem.

For the present I have not even got a clue where it could be.
Is it in the kernel or systemd or elsewhere ?

following -
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/resources.html
(Is it perhaps outdated ?)

I've put DefaultControllers= in /etc/systemd/system.conf
for my desktop and reboot it.
I couldn't see any difference in journal
 there isn't DefaultControllers
in 'man systemd-system.conf' )
Surely it was a blind shoot - I don't like such alike.
But what can I do ?
There is nothing in logs concerning the error and it's not easy to reproduce.

Thanks,
  Andrey