Re: boot times out after dist-upgrade on Stretch

First, a huge shout out to /usr/share/doc/systemd/README.Debian.gz for
telling me that appending systemd.debug-shell to the linux line in
grub would let me run a shell even whilst the main boot couldn't drop
into an emergency shell. I think this should be writ in large friendly
letters at the start of any boot-related troubleshooting guide from
now on.

With that, I could dump journalctl and systemctl list-jobs to files.
In perusing these files, it confirms that boot chokes at 4
dev-disk-by\x2duuid-<...>.device, dev-mapper-sda5_crypt.device &
dev-mapper-LVG\x2d<home|var|tmp>.device, but curiously not
dev-mapper-LVG\x2droot. root, of course, has a fstab pass value of 1
whereas the others have a pass value of 2. Is this a clue? The
list-jobs dumps also show some 94 other units waiting in line to run.

A little search-fu later, it seems I may have caught this bug:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=758808. However,
other searches on other distros suggest everything from hdparm needing
to be removed (didn't work), to incorrect fstab entries (did you guys
see any error in them?), to lunar cycles, to a butterfly flapping its
wings etc.

Anyhow, notwithstanding any better ideas, I think I'm going to
redirect this conversation to bug 758808.