Re: Fwd: ssh again

On Wed 15 Jun 2016 at 11:13:26 (+0200), Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Leon.37428 wrote on 06/14/16 19:28:
> <snip>
> > With scp if you plan on using the same file-name, you don't need to
> > specify it on the other end. You can simply go right ahead and just type:
> >
> > scp /home/whatever/file.jpg remote@hostname:"/home/user/Pictures"
> >

> Better command
>
>   scp /home/whatever/file.jpg remote@hostname:/home/user/Pictures/
>
> because with the ending "/" you state you intend to copy to a directory. If it
> doesn't exist you get an error message. Without the "/" at the end of the remote
> path you would rename your file and could even overwrite an existing file name
> "Pictures".

Agreed: and there's no -i (as in cp and mv) to protect you from overwriting.

I always specify -p otherwise the modification date gets changed even
though you've not modified the file.

Also useful is -r:

  scp -pr /home/whatever/ remote@hostname:/home/user/Pictures/

copies everything under whatever/ into the remote directory specified.

Cheers,
David.