Re: apt-get update fails with sourceforge repo

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:57:08 +0200
Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just encountered an odd problem with a repo hosted on sourceforge,
> when calling apt-get update with this repo enabled in the sources.list
> I ended with a 301 error. Apparently this happens because sourceforge
> dropped its http service and now uses https exclusively. It took me a
> while to find that I had to install apt-transport-https to enable https
> support for apt-get and change the respective entry in sources.list
> from http:// to https:// , still it does not work however. Now on
> apt-get update I get the following error message:
>
> Protocol "http" not supported or disabled in libcurl
>
> This is obviously the same problem as described here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/12143/
>
> Oddly enough, with an old laptop that still runs a completely dated
> version of LMDE (no more updates for the last two years or so) after
> installing apt-transport-https and fixing the sources.list line it
> worked, but so far no luck with my up-to-date Jessie :(

Ok, looks like it's a bug in Jessie's apt version. I just tried with
testing, no luck either, but a differennt error: this time apt-get gives
me a 404 and claims the ../binary-amd64/Packages file is not found,
although when I browse the repo with firefox I can see that it's clearly
there. Seems like since the time when Jessie was still in testing stage
(that's what my dated LMDE is) they broke apt-get's https support :(

Regards

Michael

There is an order of things in this universe.
		-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1