Re: Big dummy at work again

On Sunday 12 June 2016 20:15:08 Nicolas George wrote:
> Le quintidi 25 prairial, an CCXXIV, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > > If you go for medium or large font sizes, then using -fa / faceName and
> > > an Xft name instead of -fn / font for an X11 fot is probably a good
> > > idea: it gives anti-aliasing and the choice of fonts nowadays is
> > > slightly larger.
> > >
> > > For small sizes, vectorial fonts gives poor results, better readability
> > > is achieved with hand-drawn bitmap fonts. Too bad they can not have
> > > anti-aliasing.
> >
> > If you are running a minimal system, then I can see the advantages of a
> > more minimal terminal emulator.  But if you are running a DE, what
> > advantages does running xterm have over running one of the desktop
> > related terminal emulators?
>
> What is the logical link between my message and this question?

The thread was about running xterm inside a DE by all sorts of complicated
methods instead of simply clicking a couple of buttons in Konsole-Trinity!

> I do not know what the benefit of running xterm in a desktop environment is
> because I am still dumbfounded about what the benefit of running a desktop
> environment is.

;-) :-)  Thank you - that is rather what I suspected and answers my
question!!!

And a) I can very much see the point of not running a DE and b) I can see the
point of configuring xterm rather than run a DE in order to run a more
dependency-heavy terminal emulator!  But I can't see the point in running  a
DE, and making heavy use of it, and then configuring xterm in this way.
Unless one was already used to doing it, of course.  I do plenty of things
because it is how I have always done them - but then I know how to do them.

Lisi