Re: Non-firefox browser?

On Saturday 11 June 2016 14:23:23 Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 09:00:45 -0400
>
> Alan McConnell <alan@his.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:39:04PM -0400, Leon.37428 wrote:
> > > Here's a list of others: https://wiki.debian.org/WebBrowsers
> >
> >   	 I have been used to, and using, iceweasel, for many years.
> > 	 But under Jessie I have found that it crashes several times
> > 	 a day. I am getting tired of "Well, this is embarrassing!",
> > 	 so I'd like to ask:  how does one get firefox-esr, and what
> > 	 does one do to replace   iceweasel  with it?
> >
> > TIA for all constructive suggestion!
>
> I just added the line
>
> deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ jessie-backports firefox-esr
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list , then after an apt-get update iirc it was
> automatically set up to replace iceweasel.

AIUI you no longer even have to do that.  I gather that "# aptitude update"
and "# aptitude full-upgrade"  (or equivalent) will now do the trick.  I
gather that you need the "full-" bit ("dist-" I think in apt-get) in order to
get rid of all of Iceweasel.

I can't test this, because I went over to Firefox as soon as Debian officially
recommended doing so.

Lisi