Re: non-functioning cds

Hi,

i am Cc'ing you because i believe you are not subscribed to the list.
If so, consider to subscribe for a while on
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/

Shailesh Pundlik wrote:
> recently I downloaded a copy of Debian 8 dvd

There are many variations. Can you tell which one from where ?
A complete URL like
  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
would be the best kind of answer.

> But while the dvd works ok the cds do not.

The origin of the CD images is of interest like with the DVD image.

Further you would have to tell what you did with the downloaded ISOs:

Did you verify the ISOs by their checksums ?
  https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#verify

How did the DVD get burned ? How the CDs ?

How do the CDs not work ?
I assume you expect the DVD and CDs to boot ai Debian operating system.
Only the number 1 of each set is supposed to do this.

> I wrote to the e-mail address given by you but
> have not received any reply yet.

I assume you mean
  https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
Most probably nobody checks whether listed vendors respond. If you
believe that the vendor gives Debian a bad name, consider this statement
  "If you are having trouble with a vendor (e.g. you paid for
   installation media but never received them), you can inform us
   by sending mail to debian-www@lists.debian.org."

Well, the most original and trustworthy source would of course be
the one who governs ISO production:
  http://www.einval.com/~steve/DebianCD/
Payment to and shipment from the United Kingdom. From and to India this
might impose some effort.

So i would advise to try downloading and burning own media.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas