Re: Upgrading from Backports

Patrick Bartek:
> Need to upgrade claws-mail installed from regular repo to a newer
> version in wheezy-backports.  I don't want to end up with two installed
> versions.  Have done research, but have found nothing specific about
> this particular procedure.  Would
>
>    apt-get install -t wheezy-backports claws-mail=<newer version number>
>
> upgrade the old version or just install the new version along side the
> old.

A Debian package can only ever be installed in one version at a time on
one machine. The package is defined by its name. In your example,
claws-mail is the package name and if it is already installed then it
will be upgraded. You can most probably leave out the version number
behind the package name. I would be surprised if wheezy-backports
contained more than one version of claws-mail. And even if that was the
case, apt-get would then pick the most recent version.

> Or would it be easier to "remove" the old version keeping all the
> configs, etc., and install the new one from backports?  I did this with
> LibreOffice a few years ago.  Worked fine.

Doesn't really make a difference. The state of your system should be the
same after either 'remove && install' or a simple 'install'.

J.
--
If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.
[Agree]   [Disagree]