One additional question please:
Does stable and testing have nicknames too - like unstable = Sid??

Chris

On 2016-06-08 13:19, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 at 19:51, c.holper@ades.at <c.holper@ades.at> wrote:
Yes, I already knew this.
But I still get not the connection.

Chris

On 2016-06-08 12:18, humbert.olivier.1@free.fr wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> good questions you're asking yourself here.
> Check https://www.debian.org/releases/ .
> This is a point where you want to start regarding this.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Olivier

There aren't 3 versions of each release, there's only one. Stable, testing and unstable are nicknames / status codes applied to a given release at any stage of its lifecycle. Right now Jessie is stable, Stretch is testing. The unstable release is always called Sid, that never changes. When stretch is considered stable enough, it will get a release number (9.0), and be referred to as stable. At this point Jessie will be "oldstable" and wheezy will pass into legend. Whatever Sid looks like at that time, will get a new Toy Story character name assigned, and become the new "testing". Sid and "testing" will at that moment be identical, and will start to diverge as stuff gets into Sid, and takes a while to prove itself enough to get into "testing". HTH Mark