Re: make ping executable by normal users?

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 02:56:11PM -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:

> How, just by executing dpkg-reconfigure, did I tell it this is what
> I wanted?  If that's the default, why wasn't it that way to begin with?

AFAIK, the tar file format, on which the .deb package format is based,
does not allow for capabilities to be stored inside a tar file, so the
capability has to be set in the postinst and may not be "just there"
after unpacking the package.

Of course, this does not explain why you lost the capability, it would
only explain why the postinst fixes it.