Re: Replacing duply for backup

On Sunday 05 June 2016 06:59:41 Erwan David wrote:

> I have my backups done with duply and duplicity.
>
> However duply from stable uses deprecated options of duplicity, and
> duply from testing has a bug which obliges to write a gpg passphrase
> in clear text. Since bug 807329 has no answer at all, I am looking to
> another way to do my backups, which could use all the past backups for
> the transition.
>
> What to use ?

I am a great fan of amanda, and have been using it since the late '90's.
Once configured and running, I can forget about it as the job of making a
backup becomes just another entry in a crontab. I get an emailed report,
both from amanda and from my wrappers.  amanda does its own housekeeping
and record keeping, and recovery is very fast if using virtual tapes
that are actually directories on another big hard drive.  And the drive
is about $90 at the vendors for a 1Tb, which I think is very comparable
to a tape library and 40 or so tapes at something north of $10,000.  And
in nearly a decade, 50,000% more dependable than tape.  One drive failed
in a decade, and it warned me in plenty of time to go to town and get
another.  Zero data loss.

But you will have to get rid of your do a full on Friday's. You tell
amanda how many days amanda has to do a level0 on everything, and amanda
will fiddle with the schedule until each nights run saves about the same
amount of data. Everything else gets an incremental.  So I can do a bare
metal recovery to a new main drive with nothing more than the install
dvd, tar and cp to extract last nights copy of the database and amanda
config that generated that backup, giving amanda the data it needs to do
its work, and have this system restored to its state as of about 2am
this morning, all in about 3 hours + the time to go get a new drive from
Staples.

Whats not to like?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)