aarch64 qemu workaround

Folks,

I've been having a terrible time attempting to get debian to install into a qemu aarch64 environment. It appears that this is an issue that has been around for some time, though the only information I can find on it seems dated.

https://gmplib.org/~tege/qemu.html

Scrolling down to the aarch64 section describes the situation. Has this gotten any better? Is there a better workaround? I was hoping to be able to automate this, but that's a pretty nasty hack just to get Debian up and running.

Best,

Mike