Re: Building just one module against the current kernel

On 17/05/16 06:46, tony mollica wrote:
> All of the information and guidance I've found to make one single
> modules don't work.
>
> The kernel source and headers and any supporting packages are
> installed.  It appears the
> syntax for getting the module built is the issue.  The module source
> code is in the kernel

> What I'm looking for is the command to compile this moduleto mcp251x.ko

By the looks of things, that's a full kernel tree, easiest way is to
just build the lot, it'll probably drag in other dependencies too:

Grab your kernel config from /boot; probably named config-$( uname -r )
and dump it in /usr/src/linux-… as .config.

Run `make oldconfig` then `make menuconfig` and locate the options to
turn on CAN support and the MCP251x driver.  (Sounds familiar; I hope
Microchip have improved on these since I last tried using one.)

Once that is done, you should be able to build modules by running `make
modules` and install them with `sudo make modules_install`.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.