Re: Advice sought re HDD --> SSD migration

Mark Fletcher wrote:
> --001a114056c6ba860d053471e7cb
>
> Hi
>
> I've recently decided to upgrade my main PC, running Debian Jessie, to use
> SSDs instead of HDDs. Right now I am halfway through the process, having
> done what I consider the easy part, and about to start the potentially
> more difficult part.
> [snip]
> I've got a feeling though that the main disk is going to be a bit more
> of a challenge, and that is what I want advice about. I'm thinking I
> should boot from a live image and effect the copy there so that the
> disk is not mounted and in active use. Is that along the right lines
> or is there a better way?
>
> The replacement SSD is 960GB where the original hard disk is 500GB. Would
> you recommend a dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdd (or whatever it turns out to
> be), or a cp -r command like I used for the /opt disk, or some other
> way to execute the migration?

Treat it as a new PC.  Unplug the other drives, and use an install CD to
handle formatting and everything else (including base installation of
the OS).  Set up the drive however you want wrt partitions.

'dd' will at best get you a 500GB disk on your new 900G SSD.  and then
you'll have to fight with it (fdisk, etc.) in order to use the rest of
the space.

NB - you don't /have/ to mess with unplugging the drives, but I like
/dev/sda being my main drive, which probably wouldn't happen if you left
the other drives plugged in.  It's more of a "do things the way I want"
thing than anything else

Once the base system is installed (including any programs you use), plug
the other drives back in, and copy important stuff (e.g. your $HOME,
/etc, and anything else) from the 500G spinning rust drive to your main
SSD.

> What other things should I be concerned about (for example the discussion
> about ping using capabilities that was on this list a day or two
> back)? Oh, and speaking of MBR, as I was a paragraph ago, anything I
> should watch out for when trying to make the SSD bootable?

Never not backup.  Other than that, I don't think there's much in the
way of "stuff to watch out for".

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
|O|O|O|