Hmm, XFCE won't start after upgrade

I downloaded the latest stable, did an upgrade, then replaced my stake trips with testing and did another upgrade. After that, XFCE went back to its first run state: asking me how I want the panel configured, etc. It also wiped out all of my configuration data (in Pidgin, for example).

Lastly, XFCE doesn't start on its own. I have to log in via the console then manually start XFCE with the startx command. Any ideas what might have happened? I've not gone through life hey but I plan on this tomorrow but I'm hoping someone might have a quick answer.

Thanks,
Anthony

--
OpenPGP Key: 4096R/028ADF7453B04B15