Re: OSS Versus ALSA Modules

Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> writes:
> Hi,
> I never had any trouble at all with the OSS compatibility modules.
> Not sure where this statement comes from, if it is an old source, maybe
> they meant the old, true OSS modules (which have been removed from the
> linux kernel quite some time ago, though), where this was certainly true.

Spot on. This turned out to be out of date but I didn't realize
that at first.

> The snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss modules however are *not* OSS modules,
> but come from ALSA and just add an OSS-compatibility layer to the ALSA
> sound drivers, so that applications that rely on the presence of the OSS
> devices like /dev/dsp remain usable.
>
> If you don't want snd-pcm-oss you should blacklist snd-pcm-oss.
> When you blacklist soundcore it is not much of a surprise if you get no
> sound at all ;)

So true. I don't appear to need to blacklist anything so I took
out that directive and basically got back to where I was
previously.

	I then tried to see what would happen if I manually
inserted snd-cs4236 using modprobe. For the first time since July
15 of last year, I got back the cs4236 and set it to Card 0. The
usb card which I have been using as Card 0 can now be card 1 and
they are both present.

	If I reboot, however, Card 1 which is the usb card
automatically returns as it should but there is no Card 0 until I
manually run

modprobe snd-cs4236

at which time it and all necessary modules for it come back.

	This is obviously not right but proves it can work.

	I wonder if there is not a race condition going on? It
sure seems to have that smell to it.

Martin