Re: OSS Versus ALSA Modules

If it doesn't, modprobe is reading blacklist files after whitelist files and this is for you and I suspect many other users highly undesireable and counterintuitive behavior. Better to read and act on blacklist entries first then do those in whitelist and override what's necessary. This principle is used all the time designing firewall policies such that first nothing is permitted through then specific connections are allowed through.

On Wed, 18 May 2016, Martin McCormick wrote:

Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 08:55:54
From: Martin McCormick <martin.m@suddenlink.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: OSS Versus ALSA Modules

	I had a thread going on this list with the subject of
"Plug and Pray; my Life with Linux Sound." Thanks to several good
answers, I am on the right track to fixing a problem but there
is, of course, one more question.

	One must not have both OSS sound modules and ALSA sound
modules active when installing sound cards. The way you get rid
of the OSS modules is by putting a blacklist entry in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist.conf which reads:

#keep oss modules from loading.
install soundcore /bin/false

It works superbly and gets rid of all the OSS modules and also,
all the ALSA modules so now, I have no sound cards defined at all
as long as that directive is in place.

	In /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I have many lines but 2 of them read:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236

Shouldn't that cause ALSA modules for that card to be pulled back
in?

	The idea is to get all the ALSA modules for the sound
cards showing up in Plug&Play but lose all the OSS modules.

By the way, having both OSS and ALSA modules cause lots of
weirdness that makes no sense at all.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick